Monday, December 24, 2012

My favorite song

AcousticBrony and MandoPony have been my favorite musicians for a while. It all started when someone in a chat room sent me a link to I'll Fly Higher.

At first, it was plain and simple, an awesome song. But it quickly made me realize why Scootaloo was my favorite pony. This song is perhaps what solidified that position. She has since grown to be my favorite character from any story.

The reason I like Scootaloo is because of her courage. She has a simple bravery many adults such as myself forget: the bravery to dream whatever you want. The bravery to not call yourself silly for dreaming big. The bravery to work to accomplish those dreams.

Since I realized that, I've been listening to I'll Fly Higher almost every day, sometimes several times a day. It reminds me that no matter how happy I am with what I have, I have the power to make changes. I can make a new path for myself once I choose one that suits me. With enough determination, I can be what I want to be. For a long time I thought that was a lie people told each other to make them feel better about themselves. Now I know it is truth, even though I don't quite know yet what path I want to build for myself.

The other day, I was in a chat room and a friend was very upset with himself. He was discouraged and was talking about feeling worthless and untalented. I was worried that he was more upset than he was letting out. Myself and other friends said many things to try to encourage him. To let him know he isn't the only person to feel like that sometimes. To let him know he has potential even if he doesn't know what it is, and that he will find it. It seemed to help a lot. Finally when I realized the things we were trying to say felt very familiar, I sent him a link to I'll Fly Higher and told him to listen to the lyrics carefully. That worked. He promised to keep doing what makes him happy and he promised to keep us in the loop regarding his projects. I think the song did even more for him than it did for me.

All this brings me to this: Thank you. To AcousticBrony and MandoPony both for incredible music. And another thank you, specifically to Jimmy, for such wonderful lyrics. Don't let people bring you down. If they manage to, don't let them keep you there.

No comments: